New Heights Church

Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Apple doesn't fall far

Greetings from my beach view!
We are taking a few days of vacation after Tatum's National volleyball tournament in Port St. Joe Fl.
I wanted to relate a couple of stories, one from several years ago and one from this tournament that show how powerful your influence as a Dad goes. After ten years of focusing on ministry to men, I still haven't seen any one thing that has a bigger impact of a person's life than their Dad.
The first story happened when i was coaching my girls in softball. We played in an all too typical 9-12 yr old league of screaming parents and coaches, some worse than others. My commitment was that our team was going to learn the fundamentals well and have a good time without all the screaming. One night we played a team that the coach was over the top screaming at his players. In the handshaking line after the game, I calmly told him I didn't appreciate his screaming, at which point he started screaming at me, which I told him was fine, I could handle it better than those girls. All the parents told me afterwards that it was no use, he was like that all the time, and I said, i'm sure he is, no one wants to confront someone like that, so they just keep on screaming.
Did he calm down, yes, it was noticeably better the rest of the year.
So, at Tatum's tournament this past weekend, we were playing a team from Kansas City that NOBODY likes. Well, it didn't take long to figure out why as one of the Dads was standing at the net screaming his head off. Towards the end of the match, i noticed Tatum giving him the stink eye. At the end of the match, Tatum went to him and calmly but firmly told him she did not appreciate him yelling at her friends (evidently he was not restraining his comments to one side of the net), the poser then tried to justify himself but Tatum walked off. His poor daughter came up later to try to apologize for him saying that he yells all the time. Well, according to the team from Omaha that played them the next day, he didn't say a word during their match.
I wish that all the things I have taught my daughters, or like this, that they caught from me, were this positive, but sadly they have caught a few things that are not. I wasn't even trying to teach anyone anything when I confronted that coach, but, I obviously did.
You are too, weather you are trying to or not.
Heres to being the man Jesus wants you to be, may it be passed on down.
Alex

Upcoming:
Band of Brothers, Friday, 6:15 am. Warehouse. Great chance to get to know some great guys better and be prayed for and pray for others.

Labor Day weekend is the start of dove season. Anyone have a line on a good place some guys from New Heights could go? Or a place to fix a field?

Line from movie we watched last night: I hate to know I had a chance to make myself a better person and didn't take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment