New Heights Church

Monday, April 9, 2012

Bucket List

 

New Heights Men at New Heights Church
Message from:
Alex Hedgepeth

Greetings from Indianapolis, where I got to do another Bucket list item for me. I went to a game at Hinkle Fieldhouse, on the campus of Butler University. This is the gym that the state chapmionship game on the movie "Hoosiers" was played in. If you have ever seen a picture of Lucas Stadium where the colts play, Lucas was built to resemble Hinkle, and Conseco, where the Pacers play was also. Beautiful place, lots of enthusiam and history, but no air conditioning.

I am reading a book that details the culture of manhood in America since the Revolution. It brings out an interesting aspect that is an American invention. The Self-made man.  How our striving in the world of business and industry caused us to become with out a community of our peers, caused us to look for lots of different avenues for escape, and in general made us miserable as men.

While reading this, I'm wondering, well, how are we supposed to live? The self-made man, and other images we give ourselves, being part of the world's idea for us, what is God's idea for men?

The one thing that I can grab onto, that is totally opposite of any alternative the world gives, can be sumed up in one word: Dependent.

Everything our culture teaches us is to be independent. Cut the apron strings, get out on your own, see the world, get away from it all.

And Jesus says abide in me. Apart from me you can do nothing.

There is a total dependence in the Christian life that I don't think we quite understand. It is certainly not modeled very well this day and time, most models falling either in the self-made man camp, or the other extreme, God as ever-present Santa Claus camp.

I'm not saying I understand it or do it well, but it is number one on my bucket list. To abide in Christ. If that happens in my life, I'll be sure to let you know. On second thought, I may not have to.

Here's to abiding, friends,
Alex

PS, in preperation for the identity session at the next man night, I would like for you to start noticing when you say "I am" and then note what follows. Thanks men.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment