New Heights Church

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A naming ceremony

 

New Heights Men at New Heights Church
Message from: Alex Hedgepeth

Hey Guys,
Excuse me as I take an email to make a personal announcement that is fairly life-changing to me, but not to you. I hope through the story of this you find some understanding of the power of a name, something I try to communicate on a regular basis.

Dec. 16th 1963 Robert Alexander Harris was born to David and Myrna Loy in Jackson MS. David was a lawyer and Myrna was a professional singer. They were also two of the most self-centered people to ever grace this earth. David's self-obsession was women other than his wife and Myrna's was her career. Needless to say there wasn't much room for kids in this equation, so young Harris spent his formative years with his grandfather, Leroy Stuart, on Mr. Stuart's 40 acre farm, surrounded by lots of relatives and friends, living a life that was, to him, heaven on earth.  During those years a foundation of hard work, outdoor fun and a deep belief in God was instilled in this young boy. So much so that years later, many who knew Mr. Stuart would comment on how much he was like him. To the young boy, his grandfather was the upmost in a man. Strong, resolute, loving to everyone, and someone who found joy in the simple things in life. To be compared favorably to such a man was always the highest compliment someone could give him.

At age 6 this young boy went to live with his mom and her new husband, now his stepdad. Though a good businessman and someone who lived with a great sense of ethics, the love was missing, to be replaced with a deep-seated anger. After a few years, Myrna decided to sing exclusively in churches and it was decided for the step-dad to adopt this young man and change his last name (wouldn't do, you know, for Christians to think someone had a "past"). Many of his classmates expressed confusion of how this could happen to someone and why in the world would you want to. Well it wasn't so much wanting to as it was had to. Of course, since he never saw his real Dad, and all the stories about him were shameful (and true it was later confirmed), why not.

If you haven't figured it out, this young man was me. Yes, I write and speak a lot on identity because it has been on my mind since I was a young boy.

So, the reason for this self-indulgent letter to you good men is to announce that I have legally changed my last name. To Stuart.  To the father figure in my life that I drew the most of who I am from. Yes, I have some of my biological father and my step dad in my make-up, but those are the things that I usually have to ask forgiveness for, rather than be glad that I am that way.

If I had done this when I left home at 18, it would have been out of spite to my step-dad (and oh, how I wanted to), then, years later, when he and I had a good relationship, I didn't do it out of not wanting to hurt him. Since he died 2 years ago, I feel God leading me to this action at this time.

On a deeper sense, I never felt like I was a Harris, nor a Hedgepeth. I was never part of those families because those families weren't close. I know and love scores of Stuart relatives. I connect with that name and have chosen it to be mine and my wife's. Hopefully, my daughters will have another name one day in the near future anyway. That is their story to write.

I don't expect everyone to understand, nor to get it right the next time you introduce me to someone. That's ok, I know who I am and for the first time in my life when I introduce myself to someone, it is with a name which reflects who I really am and where I come from. Words cannot express the sense of belonging that come with the expressing of my identity. I haven't done it many times yet, so I notice it every time and stand a little straighter every time also.
Oh, that we as Christian men would have that same feeling when we tell someone that we are a son of the King. That our hearts and lives belong to Jesus.

Thanks for indulging me this personal letter.

Strength for your journey

Alex Stuart

No comments:

Post a Comment