New Heights Church

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Creating Opportunities for God

It doesn’t seem right to suggest that we can “create opportunities” for God.  How can mere mortals do things that would influence God’s behavior?  Part of me wants to declare that God will do what he wants to do when he wants to do it and there is nothing I can do to encourage or discourage God from behaving however he wants.  But the Bible reveals that God doesn’t just act—he interacts.  As in any relationship between two independent beings sometimes God initiates a relational encounter and we respond, or not; and sometimes we initiate the encounter and God responds, or not.

 

So perhaps God creates a beautiful sunrise.  I see it and respond with praise to the creative Artist who not only made the sunrise but made me.  Or maybe I see it and rush on and don’t worship at all because I’m distracted with a big to-do list.

 

God has revealed the steps to this dance.  He always moves first, but then our response will influence his next move.  For example, God blesses us with health and opportunity and we are able to work and produce wealth.  If we hoard the wealth, or waste it, that’s pretty much the end of the dance.  But if we manage it wisely and give generously God responds by throwing open the storehouses of heaven and covering us with even more wealth.  Before you know it we’re dancing around in the goodness and gifts of heaven, pulling other folks in to join the party.

 

I want to respond to God in such a way that his next move thrills my soul and throws light into the darkness.  My response creates an opportunity for God to do something wonderful.  My failure to respond to him can throw a wet blanket over the whole thing. 

 

God wants to throw a party.  Will you give him the opportunity?

 

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment